FlaglerChat.com Forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bright House vs. AT&T U-Verse

Old January 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
x-DEA
Noble Aristocrat

x-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respected
Default Bright House vs. AT&T U-Verse

Hello all-
I've had BH for about a year and a half. During this time my TV has disappeared for tens of minutes at a time making it necessary to repeatedly reboot the cable box. I've been kicked-off internet both wireless and lan connected, and my phone calls have dropped out and I have often been unable to get a dial tone to initiate a phone call. The latter of these complaints is what concerns me most since my alarm signal is useless without a dial tone.

We researched some options and decided to go with AT&T U-Verse. We're scheduled for installation next week.

Does anyone know anything about the U-Verse reliability, and customer service? I know of only one U-Verse customer and they swear by it.

If the AT&T doesn't work out and we go back to BH are there any restart charges from BH?

Thank you
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #2
computacat
Justice of the Realm

Credits: 81,447
computacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regardcomputacat is held in the highest regard

You can check out these previous threads:

AT&T U-Verse/Home Robbed! ( 12)

AT&T U-verse and Alarm System

ATT U-Verse ( 12)

AT&T U-Verse ( 12)

Dish Network vs. DirecTV vs. Brighthouse vs. U-Verse

AT&T U-verse?

AT&T U-Verse now available in Palm Coast! ( 12)
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3
gabby71
Harem Madam

gabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regardgabby71 is held in the highest regard

you should call BH and get some support for your concerns..they will help and come out and make sure its right..it may take a couple visits to locate the real problem....don't know why that is...but......ATT U verse has not worked well for those I know of...could be where they are located but not good...
and yes you would have to have restart charges........as you would have to be disconnected and reconnected...
this what I gathered from one who did this not long ago..and they are back with BH......good luck
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
poppie
Fearless Crusader

Credits: 2,105
poppie is off to a good start
Default don't like it

I had their service back in NY for two months and canceled it the Bill from them was an adventure, never was was we signed up for....Picture quality was great by their service and how to has to be over the internet. You never talk to a live person. Also they mount a box on your house that needs ton's of power. Its to convert Fiber to a digital signal.....I had some problems with BH but a few service calls fixed everything, never loss internet
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #5
pctransplant
Fearless Crusader

pctransplant works well with otherspctransplant works well with otherspctransplant works well with others

I have Uverse and we love it. There were a couple of glitches when we first got hooked up, but they worked them out immediately and we have had no problems since.
Old January 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #6
MACKIE
Eminent Elder

MACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respectedMACKIE is well-respected

Your "wireless" going out is not a BH problem either. Brighthouse allows customers to use their own wireless routers but its the customers job to make sure it works correctly.

Good luck with ATT.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #7
x-DEA
Noble Aristocrat

x-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respectedx-DEA is well-respected

Thanks for the links to previous threads. I checked them out with much interest and found them very helpful.

I have indeed called BH too many times and the problems seem to be "fixed" for a while but return soon afterwards.

I know conditions in NY aren't the same as they are here. I had cable in another state and NEVER experienced the problems I've had to deal with from BH cable. As for the wireless gateway, mine is leased from BH and costs me monthly. I've had nothing but problems with BH and their tech support is lame.

I signed up with U-Verse for 6 mos without contract so if it doesn't work out I can disconnect without cancellation charges.

If anyone else has info please post.
Old January 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #8
deck993
Farewell to Arms

deck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regarddeck993 is held in the highest regard

I have had U-verse since it was first offered in my section of Palm Coast in August 2009. Have had absolutely no problems with phone or internet service since then and not one single outage. Internet service comes with built in wifi that works flawlessly. Just recently bought a Roku box and signed up for Netflix and Hulu+ to stream movies and TV over the internet to my TV and PC's. The Roku box connected wirelessly to the U-verse internet in less than 30 seconds and works perfectly.

I had U-verse televison package (U-450) from August 2009 through August 2010 and enjoyed it very much, especially the whole house DVR being able to watch a recorded program from any TV in the house. We did have some issues with the HD picture quality while watching football games (not regular programming). There was slight pixelation/blur during fast motion on the field, mostly only visible on our 52" wide screen TV. At one point I had Brighthouse reinstall cable service and compared pictures with U-verse coming in on one HDMI input and Brighthouse coming in on a different HDMI input, and I saw the same artifacts during football with both providers. Looking for the best possible HD picture I could get I switched TV service to DirecTv in August 2010 and the HD picture quality is definitely better than both U-verse and Brighthouse, however, just a mild rain shower results in a "loss of satellite signal" message. I am not looking forward to the rainey season. Will probably go back to U-verse TV when the DirecTv contract is up or sooner if the loss of signal issue gets to much to handle.
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #9
fried_shrimp
Farewell to Arms

fried_shrimp has earned respect from othersfried_shrimp has earned respect from othersfried_shrimp has earned respect from othersfried_shrimp has earned respect from others

Quote: Originally Posted by x-DEA View Post
Hello all-
I've had BH for about a year and a half. During this time my TV has disappeared for tens of minutes at a time making it necessary to repeatedly reboot the cable box. I've been kicked-off internet both wireless and lan connected, and my phone calls have dropped out and I have often been unable to get a dial tone to initiate a phone call. The latter of these complaints is what concerns me most since my alarm signal is useless without a dial tone.

We researched some options and decided to go with AT&T U-Verse. We're scheduled for installation next week.

Does anyone know anything about the U-Verse reliability, and customer service? I know of only one U-Verse customer and they swear by it.

If the AT&T doesn't work out and we go back to BH are there any restart charges from BH?

Thank you
Normally there would be restart charges but if you call and put yourself on a winback campaign, there are no restart charges. If you just shut off U-verse and then try to start BH back up, you will pay to restart.